The introduction of collaborative robotics has already borne fruit in the industrial sector, where robots have come out of the cages in which they were locked for safety reasons and are supporting human operators in increasingly complex tasks.
In the healthcare field, collaborative approach between the robotic system and medical personnel is a hot research topic. Nevertheless, most currently available robotic solutions can provide a limited degree of collaboration and interaction. The integration of increasingly advanced artificial intelligence technologies to support (partially) autonomous robotic systems poses further challenges in the effective integration into clinical practice.
The aim of this workshop is to describe the current state of the art technologies that could be exploited in the human-robot collaborative medical context. In particular, the workshop will discuss the main opportunities and challenges that the introduction of collaborative robotic systems poses from different perspectives:
- The challenges in the development of such systems, both in terms of multimodal human-robot interface (e.g., physical, visual, audio) and clinicians training
- How advanced AI and extended reality technologies can contribute to the effective use of the collaborative robotic systems in medicine
- Applied research experience from both research centers and companies
- Regulatory constraints that make the adoption of collaborative robotic technologies more complex than the industrial sector
- Funding and collaboration opportunities in this research area
|08:30||Registration & Coffee|
|09:00||Opening: Welcome & Introduction||Dr. Diego Dall'Alba|
|09:10||Collaborative robotic technologies for assisting fetoscopy surgery||Dr. Albert Hernansanz|
|09:30||Virtual and Augmented Reality Systems for Surgical Guidance.||Dr. Veronica Penza|
|09:50||Cobots: From the production floor to the operating room||Marc-Olivier Lapointe|
|10:10||Cobots for health: boosting deployment of robots on European level||Dr. Françoise Siepel|
|11:00||Collaborative Robotics for Ultrasound guided procedures||Prof. Andreas Melzer|
|11:20||Enabling therapeutic ultrasound with robotics and artificial intelligence||Dr. Andrea Mariani|
|11:40||Automatic ultrasound – from research to product||Prof. Thiusius Rajeeth Savarimuthu|
|12:00||Panel discussion||Dr. Diego Dall'Alba & Prof. Riccardo Muradore|
- Learning about the requirements for integrating collaborative robotic technologies, in the medical field.
- Understanding how AI-enabled collaborative robots can be integrated into the medical systems for supporting diagnosis or operation.
- Enlightening the operative requirements and feedbacks from healthcare personnel in order to improve and inspire the design and development of these robotic solution.
- Providing knowledges related to the technologies and challenges implementing collaborative robotic solutions in the medical field
- Describing the potential impact of collaborative technologies in the medical robotic field
- Highlighting the available research, collaboration, and funding opportunities
Dr. Diego Dall’Alba, University of Verona, Italy
Dr. Zhuoqi Cheng, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
Dr. Andrea Mariani, Biorobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Italy
Dr. Riccardo Muradore, University of Verona, Italy
HALF DAY WORKSHOP – AM
This workshop is accredited for 3 CPD points.